Thursday, May 8, 2014

IRE Internship Bootcamp

At the end of every spring semester Iron Range Engineering (IRE) puts on a two hour training season for the students that are graduating and going off for their first job, and the students that have got summer internships. 
The boot camp is a way for the students to ask questions about what to expect on the job, get information on do's and don'ts of the work place, and for the instructors to pass on helpful hints to help the students succeed in their job or internship.

This bootcamp has become a tradition at IRE.  While it is not required, it is an option that a lot of the students take advantage of.  The boot camp goes through what good traits of a student worker companies looks for, and what traits a student should stay away from while at work.  The instructors that put on the boot camp always have stories to go along with the good points and bad points to help make sure that what they are saying sticks in the students mind.

Going to the boot camp for the second time now, I have been able to learn something new each time. One of the biggest things that I learned is to always have a notebook and pencil or pen to take notes.  This has helped me to remember important information given when I have asked questions and I also used it to help me remember my coworkers name.  Another good thing I have learned from the boot camp is to show up to work and meetings five minutes before they start.  This has been very good to learn and is applied even to school and other aspects outside of school.  Through doing the boot camp I feel as if the information gained has been helpful for my internships and school.  A big part about IRE is that they are teaching us how to be continual learners and this boot camp is one of the many ways IRE helps to accomplish this.

Written By: Adam Benes
Proof Read By: James Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment