Saturday, May 10, 2014

Co-op Experiences at IRE

This year at IRE I was able to continue working with Itasca County where I held an internship last summer. I was given the responsibility to design County Road 16 located near Goodland, MN, from start to finish, while working with my team members at Itasca County in Grand Rapids every Thursday and Friday for my co-op experience. At first this project seemed overwhelming with so many tasks. I wasn't quite sure how or where to start. With help and guidance from my co-workers, I was able to get the project to roughly 95% complete (in-completion due to weather and pending permits). Since I will be returning to work full time with Itasca County this summer, I will be able to finish all remaining work as possible including permit approvals, field checks, and contract documents.

This type of experience is very unique to IRE and I know it would not be possible to have this sort of industry experience at any other university. I am very thankful to get the real world experience that I have been able to get here, and I know making these connections and having this background will be very helpful for me in my near future as I am beginning to apply for full time positions.

-Allie Jurvelin

No comments:

Post a Comment