Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Takeaways


Metacognition is heavily stressed at IRE, but what exactly is it? The length and abstract definitions of the word makes it sound intimidating, but it is not as daunting a concept as it might seem. At the most basic level it is an awareness of your learning process. Metacognition enables us to be more aware and efficient learners. We regularly engage in metacognitive activities formally at IRE in the form of “metacognitive memos”. Students are given choices in the methods of metacognition they find most beneficial.  One metacognitive strategy is to summarize what you have learned into a list of takeaways. The value of and the metacognitive process in making a list of takeaways is in summarizing the material and not in the list itself.  When making lists of takeaways I try to write things that will act as a seed to reproduce the thinking process that I used in the learning activity.

I am a graduating senior this semester so I thought I would make a list of takeaways from my experiences at IRE.

 

·         My biggest obstruction to learning is in admitting that I don’t know something.

·         Do it now rather than later.

·         Motivation is a choice I make.

·         I learn concepts most effectively by explaining them to others.

·         Ok is sometimes good enough.

·         Takeaways are useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment