Thursday, December 5, 2013

The IRE Academic Experience as Compared to Traditional Programs




Nearing completion of my third semester as an Iron Range Engineering (IRE) student, I have come to realize the enormous benefits to being part of this program. With that being said, I would like to take a moment and share these experiences with you. 

Throughout the beginning of my post-secondary education I attended a community college engineering program. During my time there, I had come to grasp that my personal style of learning did not fit that particular model. A traditional style curriculum did not compliment my strengths as a student or as an aspiring professional; this is not to say that traditional academic programs hold no value, because they do, and they were a crucial developmental tool in my ability to think critically. Traditional programs are just simply designed for different means to an end, which is to prepare students for graduate school and thereby, a career in research.  

As a student without interest in attending graduate school, this academic approach seemed counter intuitive in the sense that it defies the very essence of what it means to be an engineer. What I mean by counter intuitive is that engineers are not scientists but rather problem solvers that take the knowledge they have acquired and apply it critically to the issues around the community, country, or even internationally. This is what I believe to be the fundamental reasoning behind the curriculum design of IRE and why it was so appealing to me. 

IRE offers its students the tools needed to be successful in the professional world. It not only provides a rich technical curriculum but also gives a plethora of experience in the project design process. The three projects I’ve completed so far have been a wonderful learning experience with regards to developing my time management skills, written and oral communication skills, and interpersonal relationships as well as, the ability to bring my ideas to realization. If you can relate to my perspective, then I would recommend seeking out Iron Range Engineering as an option. It has made an incredibly positive difference in my life and if you put the work in, it could be in yours as well.


Written by Case Goodyear
Reviewed by Kody Kamunen

No comments:

Post a Comment