Thursday, October 8, 2009

Daily Journal 10-8-09

Yesterday felt like it was a big day for us here at IRE. Here on the Mesabi campus, there was a meeting with most of IRE's business partners. Representatives from BARR Engineering, Blandin Paper, Polymet, Hibbing Taconite, United Taconite, Tri-Tec, Arrowhead University Consortium and ALLETE had all gathered here for the sake of IRE.

There were two main reasons that this gathering was called to order. First on the priority list had been to answer any questions on how IRE would work as a college. The second was to receive input from business representatives on what they would like to see from employees of their companies.

To me, this was an honor. I was one of three IRE students who had the opportunity to partake in the meeting. There were times that three of the industry workers and I would brainstorm ideas to better IRE. It felt just like my classmates and I sat down to discuss ideas. The only difference that I noticed (off hand) was that it was a much more professional level. Ideas that were discussed didn’t have a long explanation, more like “one word” thoughts. This gave me some insight on how to handle this situation next time we are in a meeting and it also gave me confidence in working with industry. For me, this was a productive day.

Proofed by: Brianna Frey

No comments:

Post a Comment