Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Time Management

Throughout my time at IRE, I have come to realize how important time management really is. This is true for both my personal and professional life; there has to be a balance, but projects also have to get completed effectively and efficiently.

The past week and a half have been a very hectic time for myself, and other members of Team United Taconite (this team had a project last semester for a local mine) because we have to present our project once again. This presentation is going to be given to senior members of the United Taconite Mining Company so we really want to "nail" it. Unfortunately for us, we are all now part of different teams and have to divide our work for our new projects, United Taconite, and our technical learning. This means that we have really been feeling a time crunch.

I deal with "time crunches" by creating something of a budget. I make a list of all the things that I need to get done within the next few weeks and I prioritize them. I know that some people also incorporate a time budget with the work that needs to get completed, but for me, I make a list of PRIORITES and then the BACK BURNER. I feel that this really helps me to see what I can get done, what I need to get done, and what is accomplishable in the time frame that I have.

I understand that not everyone is going to time budget themselves the way that I do, but I do think that it is important to understand how to budget a work load for a given time frame. This is something that I have gained experience in by attending IRE because of the industry partner projects I have worked on. As such, this gives me invaluable experience that I will be able to use in my career.

Proofed by Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment