Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Today in the design review for Spring Creek, I said that I wanted to show that my knowledge of body stresses was a 2 rather than a 1 on the IRE grading scale. To prepare for this I did a couple of things. The first being that in my personal journal, I wrote everything that I had remembered about body stresses from previous projects I had done. Once I had finished the entry, I got a mechanics of materials book and my learning log, and re-wrote everything. By looking at the body stress concepts, I was able to focus on what I needed to re-visit, and what I needed to learn. I researched these topics and wrote about them in my own words in my learning log. I also used another student to help edify me on a topic that was still unclear to me. Again, I wrote the main discussion points in my learning log in my own words.
During the design review, I was able to prove my knowledge by having a discussion with the two faculty members present. This was conducted in a manner that really probed my conceptual knowledge of the body stresses. I thought this was excellent because it really helped to prove that I had an understanding of this competency. On the other hand, this few things I was uncertain on were very obvious during the review. However, I was granted the “two” because I demonstrated a significant amount of knowledge during all the questions, and the example drawing that was used.
I was very happy with how this whole process went. I felt like what the faculty had to say about my knowledge on body stresses was correct based upon the discussion we had. I really liked how they offered help when I got stuck at one point for several reasons. In my case, my “help” was when the word torsion was said, and after I heard it, I immediately was able to converse about what I knew about the subject. This allowed me to show that I really did know about torsion, and that it had just slipped my mind. Secondly, this allowed my group members to show that they also had knowledge about body stresses as well.
Overall, I thought the whole “proof” of my 2 in body stresses went extremely well. Not only did it allow me to get one step closer to my grade, but it also gave me confidence in my own knowledge.

Proofed by Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment